Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Chicago heat and my job search

Okay, so I haven't blogged in a few days because I haven't really been doing anything too exciting. By request of my oldest sister (the blogging queen, haha), here is what I've been up to:

First of all, It's so hot in Chicago! For the past 4 days it's been in the mid to upper 80's and super muggy. Yuck! The mythical lake breeze, which has no comparison to an ocean breeze, does not reach our apartment. Also we have no AC, so I'm writing this with two fans blowing on me. There has been occasional thunderstorms but those don't seem to relieve the mugginess. To deal with the heat Jessica and I have been eating a lot of Gelato from a place around the corner from our house. Yummy!

For the past three days, I've been working on finding a job. When Ajay was here he helped me update and re-design my resume, and let me say it looks pretty awesome. I went down to Kinkos and printed out about 30 copies, but I need to get a lot more. I wrote a fantastic cold call type cover letter and now I'm working on sending them all out.
I did google searches for Chicago portrait photography studios, commercial photography studios and photo labs. I checked out each studio/lab's website and wrote down the places that I liked. There are no shortage of photography studios in Chicago! I'm sending resumes and personalized cover letters to 20 portrait studios, 18 commercial studios and 5 photo labs!
On top of that I've been doing job searches on Craigslist, Comm Arts, the Chicago Reader and various other job search sites. I've applied to about 10 jobs from those sites since I've been here. Whew! Now I just have to cross my fingers and send some follow up e-mails in a week or so.

Today is Jessica's orientation at Columbia College, I've been teasing her about her first day of school all week. Yesterday we went to Staples to get her school supplies and I needed ink for my printer. Jackie was right about all the ridiculous and unnessisary school supplies at Staples. Who needs all of that crap?

Anyway, I think I'm gonna walk up to Wicker park and go to the farmer's market and then come back and package up more resumes. Tonight Jessica and I are going to see DJ A-trak at Subterranean. It should be awesome! Ajay is super jealous...

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Hey Elizabeth - We read your post in NJ on Sat night. Both George and Jacob brought their computers! The NJ party was fun - the drive home on Sunday night was tough. We are happy to be home.

Good luck with the job search. Hopefully you find something good quick....

That bar/music place looked neat. Did you have fun?
~Jackie

Elizabeth Sofarelli said...

We did have fun at Subterranean but DJ A-trak didn't go on until almost 1am! The bars in Chicago are open until 3am on Saturdays, so late! We stayed until 1:30 then headed home for bed.