Friday, August 15, 2008

Navy Pier Ferris Wheel and the Weiners Circle

Yesterday Ajay and I went to the Navy Pier to ride the Ferris wheel. I have had a strange obsession with the Ferris wheel since reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. The Ferris wheel was invented specifically for the 1893 World's fair in Chicago. The original Ferris wheel had 36 cars that could each hold 60 riders! Here is a picture:



The new Ferris wheel isn't as big, each of the 40 cars can only hold six people. Ajay and I had our own car for the ride. Also the wheel never stops, you have to jump off while it is still moving! Not only was the Ferris wheel ride exciting but the Navy's Blue Angels were flying around the pier practicing for this weekends air show. The planes were practicing formations and zooming by the Ferris wheel! So awesome!

Here's a link to this weekend's air show. It looks good!



After our Ferris wheel ride we headed to Lincoln Park to eat at the Wiener's Circle. Ajay had heard about the Wieners Circle from multiple people, they all said it was the best Chicago dog experience in the whole city. It took us a while to find the place, but it was worth it. We each had two Chicago style dogs and shared some fries. For those of you who don't know what a Chicago style hot dog is: A Vienna Beef hot dog on a poppy seed roll topped with tomatoes, pickles, bright green relish, mustard, onions, hot peppers and sprinkled with celery salt. It's completely out of control!

Pictures from our adventure:





1 comment:

Jackie said...

Elizabeth - Great pictures! I'll have to learn how to do that slide show thing you have done. Those hot dogs looked crazy! I would have gotten a stomach ache too! Sounds like things are going well. Talk with you soon.
~Jackie